My Christmas Themed 25th Party
My birthday is on the 8th of December, and for the entire of my comprehensible life I’ve had a rule in my family to keep Christmas decor in the cupboard until the 9th of December, Jesus can wait his turn, He has after all had a good 2000 more birthdays than me.
Last year, however, I gave in and decided to deck the halls early and combine the festivities.
Should’ve done that years ago, what a jolly, festive, merry event! Decor was a breeze and a blast. Cheapest event decor ever, considering it was all already in our cupboards. So besides the tree, string lights, baubles, stars and tinsel, I spent the extra money and effort on:
- Cookies & chocolate milk of course
- Gingerbread house birthday cake – that lights up (well that had cheap battery operated LED christmas lights crammed inside, but still how cool right!!) Best birthday cake EVER! I’m so good at this ><
- Brown paper christmas stockings filled with m&m’s
- A christmas roast buffet – which looked and tasted a lot fancier than the effort that went into it. If you’re catering a christmas dinner for 20+ people from one little oven, and it’s also your birthday (so why should you do all the work), use creative initiative and buy 3 pre roasted chickens, a tray full of roasted lamb and a tray full of roasted beef from a Spar deli. But do bake a tray full of potatoes and a tray full of carrots and onions and have a pot of rice on the stove, both to save some money and to (appear to) totally be slaving away in the kitchen when you dish out the feast.
- Ice cream & star shaped watermelon for dessert. ❤ cookie cutters. Also because it’s so cute and christmassy, you can get away with styrofoam cups – after party dishes? pfft what dishes.
- Hand made christmas crackers filled with mini chocolates, christmas jokes (picked by me) and the random number for the:
- Present game – where each person brings a present worth R20; piles them all up under the tree; and starting with person #1, s/he picks any present and opens it; then person #2 gets to either steal person #1’s gift (in which case #1 repicks from the pile) or pick a new one to open; so person #3 gets to choose between #1, #2 and the piles gifts and so on. And so everyone got a present at my party – I didn’t mind, spirit of Christmas and all
- And of course a christmas soundtrack – no thanks to Justin Bieber
This was one of my favorite parties so far. I was tempted to ignore the birthday completely and it’s insinuations of a gradual decline to 30 (not that 30’s old, but just so grown up sounding ><), but I’m terribly glad I didn’t. It’s the most fun I’ve ever had planning an event, and it was the easiest party to enjoy, for everyone. Who’s gonna complain when there’s presents for everyone and a cake with more sweets than cake. And if there wasn’t enough entertainment already, Collin had to oblige.